Our June Newsletter comes to us from Chef Tina Landfried, one of Ready, Set, Eat’s staff chefs.
Spring and early summer has arrived and the farmer’s markets and local grocery stores are bringing in the bounty of our Oregon spring! Some of our favorite shops offer fantastic ingredients and inspiration for creative meals.
- Sheridan Market, close-in SE PDX, has been in business for decades. They have a great butcher counter and local produce. https://www.sheridanfruit.com/
- Barbur Foods and their second store, World Market, in the Pearl. Their location in the Pearl has the largest selection of chocolate bars imaginable! They specialize in Middle Eastern foods, with fresh baked pita and great take-out. worldfoodsportland.com/
- Uwajimaya, Asian market in Beaverton specializes in fresh fish and their produce is priced very reasonable! My daughters love the cosmetics from Korea. And there is an in-store cream puff counter! Look for seasonal Polynesian festivals in their parking lot. https://www.uwajimaya.com/stores/beaverton
Check out the Portland area farmers markets for local produce; there’s a market every day of the week, check out your local one for farm produce and lots of on-site breakfast and lunch choices.
- The PSU Market is quite large with several unique products. The artichoke farmer, DeNoble, has different sizes of artichokes and they also specialize in brilliant colored carrots! Fred Carlo makes a fabulous grilled sausage and red pepper sandwich.
- The Beaverton Farmers Market has some of the best farmers from the valley-Gathering Together has unusual greens and Dennison’s strawberries are big, red, and organic! http://www.portlandfarmersmarket.org
Below you will find a menu that showcases the early Summer bounty… and is a joy to share with friends and family!
- Middle Eastern Fattoush Salad
- Barbecued Honey-Brined Chicken, with Grilled Onions and Peppers
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler with Almond Crumble
We hope that this has inspired you to prepare a little something special for the loved ones in your life. If you need help, or additional ideas, we are always here for you. Contact Ready, Set, Eat today to find out more!
The Chefs of Ready, Set, Eat!
Shana, James and Tina