A warm and cozy starter for a holiday or a cozy winter’s night dinner. Sweet Potato, Apples and Carrots, cooked with a touch of Ginger and Orange, pureed into a smooth soup. A touch of cream can be added at the end.
RECIPE SOURCE Cooking Light, edited by Shana Larsen May 2005
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 celery stalk chopped
- 2 teaspoon ginger root, fresh minced
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1 pinch saffron
- 4 cup sweet potato peeled and chopped
- 3 large McIntosh apple or other sweet apple, chopped
- 2 large carrot diced
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 8 cup vegetable broth, Pacific
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (OPTIONAL)2 tbsp. chive, minced
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, celery, minced ginger, dried thyme, and saffron threads, and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, carrot, apple and orange zest, and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup completely. Add cream if desired.
- Keep warm and serve with a touch of minced chive.