This Spicy Tomato Chutney is a sauce or a dry base for a sauce that is a great tomato relish.
- 1 pound vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup red-wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup chopped scallion greens
- Chop tomatoes and bell pepper.
- In a medium saucepan bring vinegars to a boil with sugar, salt, mustard seeds, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, stirring occasionally, and stir in tomatoes, bell pepper, and scallions. Simmer mixture, uncovered, stirring occasionally (stir more frequently toward end of cooking), about 1 1/4 hours, or until thickened and reduced to about 1 1/2 cups.
- Cool chutney completely. Chutney keeps, covered and chilled, 2 weeks. Or it can be canned, if desired, for longer term storage.