This recipe comes to us via Food and Wine and is from Chef Grant Achatz, who makes this simple, creamy and sublimely silky zucchini soup without any cream at all. And you can easily use the ‘Monster Zucchini’ here! We made this soup this weekend and were shocked how good just a few simple ingredients were.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2/3 cup vegetable stock or low-sodium broth
- Julienned raw zucchini, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter in the olive oil.
- Add the onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until softened, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the stock and 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a simmer; cook until the zucchini is very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Working in 2 batches, puree the soup in a blender until it’s silky-smooth. Return the soup to the saucepan and season with salt and pepper. Serve it either hot or chilled, garnished with julienned zucchini.