Serves 12 – From TwoPeasAndTheirPod.com
For the bread:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cups granulated sugar (I found this extra sweet – could easily reduce to 2/3 or ¾ cup)
- Zest of 1 large lemons
- 1 large egg plus one egg white
- 1/2 cup light olive oil, or canola, vegetable or grapeseed
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cups finely grated zucchini (or yellow squash!)
For the lemon glaze (I find this optional, as the bread was very sweet and flavorful as it was…. But it does add a little extra punch!)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour one 8 x 4 inch loaf pan (or line with parchment paper) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and lemon zest. Rub together with your fingers until fragrant.
- Add the eggs, oil, lemon juice, vanilla to the lemon sugar mixture and stir until smooth. Mix in the zucchini until combined. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the loaves on a cooling rack and let cool for 15 minutes in the pans. Loosen the sides of the bread with a knife. Carefully remove the loaves from the pans. Let cool completely on rack.
- While the bread is cooling, make the lemon glaze. In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice. Whisk until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the loaves. Slice and serve.